THERAPY FOR TRAUMA AND/OR POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER
1. Having experienced a life-threatening or traumatizing event
2. Recurrent thoughts about the trauma
3. Nightmares related to the trauma
5. Being triggered by reminders of the trauma
6. Being triggered by anything associated with the trauma
7. Avoiding thoughts, feelings, places, related to the trauma
8. Not remembering part or all of the trauma
9. Feeling numb and/or having diminished interest in life
10. Trouble sleeping
11. Difficulty with concentration
12. Getting started easily
13. Hypervigilance (anxiously aware of your surroundings)
14. Irritability or outbursts of anger
Traumas can come in many forms and can include being robbed, raped, being in war, having a car accident, suffering from abuse, being assaulted, or a number of horrible events. It's normal to have difficulties after such a tragedy, but when you or your child are unable to recover, you may be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). PTSD can leave you or your child feeling on edge and in constant fear. It may prevent you from sleeping and may affect work, school, or one's personal life so much that you can't function well. Fortunately, there is treatment for PTSD and you can recover.
Through using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing the memory of the trauma can go from feeling like the trauma is in the present to feeling like it is in the past. You are not likely to entirely forget your experience, but you can learn to be less triggered, less upset, and have a significant decrease in PTSD symptoms in response to thinking about the event. Therapy will not cause you to be re-traumatized or relive the trauma, but will help you to confront it and finally get your life back.
To make an appointment for an assessment and/or discuss recommendations for treatment, call (415) 686-9544 or email firstname.lastname@example.org I have offices in San Francisco and Corte Madera and provide phone and/or web sessions for clients who can not come to the office.