Symptoms of Eating Disorders:
- Underweight (85% of normal weight)
- Denial that being underweight is a problem or saying something like "It's not serious that I'm this size"
- No menstrual periods or missed periods
- Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat
- Upon self-evaluation, person feels a distorted sense of body's size or attributes
- Control of one's eating habits through fasting, diuretics (diet pills), or starvation
- Periods of binge eating followed by self-induced vomiting
- Periods of binge eating followed by guilty feelings and/or a restricted diet
Fortunately, there are effective treatments to help overcome eating disorders. I am trained in Maudsley Method: Family Based Therapy, which is a first line treatment for anorexia in adolescents. I also utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) as well as dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) to treating body issue and bulimia. If you are an adult, an adolescent, or a parent concerned with a child or loved one, remember, there is hope and also remember that eating disorders are serious issues that can have lifelong consequences.
To schedule a free phone consultation, please email me at email@example.com
or call me at (415) 686-9544.